01722 427 547
“The other step forward was with Jayna Patel who was equally amazing. Always took the time to discuss each step of the case.”Legal 500, 2022
Jayna joined the Commercial Disputes team in 2015 bringing 16 years of litigation know-how with her. She has a particular technical expertise in Claimant focused professional negligence claims against solicitors, valuers, construction professionals and accountants.
She is a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers' Association and is due to host a PNLA conference later this year. Jayna regularly publishes articles on professional negligence and she recently spoke at the 2021 Central Association of Agricultural Valuers conference on Manchester Building Society v Grant Thornton and its impact on the scope of duty in professional negligence claims. She also advises local professionals on their professional obligations.
Jayna also provides general commercial litigation advice to businesses including the recovery of debts and regularly deals with one-off contractual disputes.
Educated at Cardiff University, Jayna qualified as a solicitor in 2007. Prior to joining Wilsons she worked in London with a City firm, where she project managed high value and complex professional negligence claims and procured a 100% success rate for her lender clients.
Jayna believes that it is important for her clients to be aware of the commercial implications of her legal advice so that they can weigh up the risks/benefits/costs of litigation. Her clients rely on her expertise to not only present options but to provide an opinion on how to achieve the best outcome.
Jayna has extensive experience of alternative funding for litigation and can assist her clients with securing the right package for them.
Jayna has embraced hybrid working and splits her time between London, Winchester and Salisbury.
- Acting for various Claimant clients e.g. HNW individuals and trustees, an international business, a farming partnership and an art dealer and successfully settling their professional negligence claims against solicitors, accountants and surveyors.
- Miah v. Hoque & Ors, Lawtel, 24/05/2018. A former member of a mosque sought an injunction in the High Court that he be readmitted to worship during Ramadan. Jayna acted for the mosque in successfully resisting the application and recovering 80% of the incurred costs
- Acting for a milk wholesaler in a contractual dispute against Muller
- Representing a medical regulatory body in relation to a regulatory appeal
- Acting for shareholders and directors e.g. minority shareholder claims, business loans
- Bringing and defending claims arising from employment restrictive covenants
- Acting for landowners/estates in relation to property damage caused by utility businesses or third parties.
Based in Winchester, Jayna likes to keep active exploring the local surroundings with her husband and young daughters. She also regularly travels to Cardiff and London to visit family and friends.
"Having discussed our particular problem with our closest advisers, I was advised to contact Jayna for advice on the best way forward. I found her the utmost professional, but with a very human touch, and was a pleasure to work with, to end up achieving a very satisfactory result." - Client 2022
“I was referred to Jayna Patel by a trusted advisor, who highly recommended her. She was very quick to understand our problem and gave clear calm advice on several possible courses for action. Since our initial discussion she has kept in touch without any pressure. She was very proficient and very quick on the uptake, speaking in terms I understood. I wish we had instructed her from the outset, I would recommend to prospective Clients exploring her services.” - Client, 2022
“Jayna’s determination, rigour and attention to detail ensured our successful outcome against a giant of a company. We are grateful that she was on our side and were particularly impressed with her communication and negotiating skills.” - Client, 2020
"After trying unsuccessfully to resolve a tricky situation with my fellow directors / shareholders, engaging Jayna was the best move I made. She not only offered a clear and objective view of the situation and provided a comprehensive assessment of my options, more importantly she offered an opinion on the chance of success for each. This was invaluable and enabled me to view the situation more objectively and help decide which route to take and which now I’m very happy to say resolved the issue." - Client, 2020