Reputation Management Principal Contact
01722 427 679
“Debbie is a delight to engage with and reassuringly strong. She is knowledgeable about the subject matter and its practical application.”Chambers, 2024
“Debbie is highly responsive, thorough and careful, and often helps redirect our thinking based on the context of her wider experience.”Chambers, 2024
“She has always been supportive and provided excellent guidance to the school. Debbie has always ensured her responses and advice are timely.”Chambers, 2024
“Debbie Ashenhurst got on top of the brief very swiftly and was punctilious in responding to all of our queries.”Legal 500, 2024
“Debbie Ashenhurst has been unbelievably responsive and a detailed ally in my ongoing quest for justice. Debbie has a tenacity, level-headedness and ability to eloquently articulate a complex situation that I value tremendously”Legal 500, 2023
Debbie is a partner in our Property & Commercial Litigation team. She read law at Jesus College, Cambridge, before training at Dentons in London. Post-qualification she worked at media firm Olswang and in-house at The Guardian newspaper and the RSPCA. She joined Wilsons in 2016, having returned from the U.S. where she obtained a LL.M from Georgetown University and worked in the environmental litigation field.
Debbie has a broad commercial litigation practice which includes handling a wide range of contractual, commercial and corporate disputes.
She has particular expertise in reputation management including defamation, privacy, confidentiality, data protection and harassment law. Her practice also focuses on information law and she regularly advises clients on compliance with data protection and marketing laws. She has advised businesses, charities and schools on GDPR compliance, responding to subject access and similar requests and bringing or defending claims for breach of confidence, breach of data protection laws, misuse of private information, removal of online material and harassment.
- Acting for minority shareholders in unfair prejudice disputes;
- Acting for claimants and defendants in restraint of trade and breach of contract claims;
- Successfully representing claimants against a local authority for a serious misuse of private information and data breach;
- Helping numerous businesses, charities and schools become GDPR compliant and to respond to subject access and freedom of information requests;
- Defending schools and individuals against claims for defamation and discrimination;
- Defending businesses in defective goods claims;
- Helping businesses, charities and schools with reputation management issues.
- Successfully defending The Guardian in libel proceedings brought by Jonathan Aitken MP;
- Acting for the claimant, Grigori Loutchansky, in the first defamation trial to consider former defence of Reynolds qualified privilege;
- Acting for Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in a libel case against a national newspaper;
- Acting for a Mills & Boon author in a libel, breach of contract and copyright infringement case arising out of false allegation of plagiarism against her.