Mental Capacity Principal Contact
01722 427 524
“The team have a diamond in Frances Mayne and the work she carries out.”Legal 500, 2024
“Frances Mayne is fantastic with clients. Level-headed, practical and very approachable without being judgmental. Excellent for all types of vulnerable clients who need professional support when managing their money.”Legal 500, 2024
“Frances has a very good reputation and is active.”Chambers HNW, 2023
“Frances is simply incredible. She's compassionate, sensible, articulate, with a keen intellect.”Chambers HNW, 2022
Frances Mayne is a partner and head of our Mental Capacity team. She specialises in capacity, Court of Protection, trusts, powers of attorney, and deals with legal issues relating to clients who are elderly, disabled or vulnerable. She acts as a professional executor, trustee, attorney and Court of Protection deputy.
- Acting as a professional Court of Protection deputy for clients with acquired brain injuries and administering significant damages awards;
- In connection with her role as a Court of Protection deputy liaising with lawyers in other jurisdictions to deal with overseas assets;
- Preparing expert's reports on likely future deputyship costs for use in personal injury litigation as well as expert's reports on capacity under the Mental Capacity Act 2005;
- Advising on the creation of personal injury trusts;
- Advising in connection with a significant agricultural estate and in particular the availability and successful claim for inheritance tax agricultural property relief on the farmhouse following the death of the elderly farmer;
- Dealing with substantial estates and advising on conditional exemption claims for chattels of national importance.
Frances has spoken at seminars for accountancy firms in connection with mental capacity issues, at The Central Association of Agricultural Valuers (Hants, Wilts & Dorset) on capacity issues for farmers and businesses, at Wilsons' Agrilaw event, and at the Case Managers Conference. Frances is a member of the Court of Protection Practitioners Association and the Law Society Private Client Section.