Round-up of recent guidance for schools
3 September 2019
Our round-up of recent guidance has been created as a quick reference point for schools, including the updated "Keeping Children Safe in Education" guidance (September 2019) and the Brexit guide: data protection for education providers (August 2019).
- "Keeping Children Safe in Education", updated 2 September 2019.
The reference to transitional arrangements has been removed from the new guidance due to the commencement of the new local safeguarding arrangements which must be in place by September 2019.
A table of other substantive changes is contained on page 108 of the new guidance.
- "Brexit guide: data protection for education providers", updated 19 August 2019.
It is now possible to sign up for email alerts to get the latest information about Brexit.
- "Brexit: preparations for schools in England", updated 19 August 2019.
This guidance has been updated to set out the preparations that schools should be making to get ready for Brexit, including the EU Settlement Scheme and school places after Brexit.
- "Teaching online safety in school", published June 2019:
Non-statutory guidance supporting schools to teach their pupils how to stay safe online, within new and existing school subjects – applicable to all local authority maintained schools, academies and free schools.
- "Guidance for safer working practice for those working with children and young people in education settings", updated May 2019:
This non-statutory guidance from the Safer Recruitment Consortium contains some practical advice to schools and the three new safeguarding partners – this should be read alongside "Keeping Children Safe in Education".
- "The Independent School Standards: Guidance for independent schools", updated April 2019:
Non-statutory, best practice guidance from the DfE for Independent Schools to assist with understanding obligations under the Education (Independent School Standards) Regulations 2014.
- "Prejudice-based bullying", guidance from the Equality and Human Rights Commission, updated March 2019:
Help and advice on how to identify and deal with prejudice-based bullying in schools.